Sunday, August 16, 2009

Die Without You

So I was heading to Plum Island last weekend with my daughter, my cousin and her family. I was in my car alone and jamming out to Sirius, which is an everyday occurrence, but this one song came on and I pretty much got lost. Lost, you say? Yes. But not in the I took a wrong turn way. This particular song came on and I was pulled back to 1992. (Scary I know, I was 10!) Ok this song was P.M. Dawn Die without you. WTF? Yes I know totally random, but here's the story: In the early 90's my mother was diagnosed with Cardiomyopathy, which is an enlargement of the heart. That being said she needed a heart transplant. Now as I stated before, I was 9/ 10. (Pretty damn young to deal with this shit.) I guess you can say that I continued to be a "normal" kid. I had my family, especially my Gigi, and my step dad. well mostly the former, since my dad was always at the hospital. I would go to bed scared as shit that I would be without my mother. I would cry myself to sleep or I would snuggle up to my Gigi, who was/ is my life. (RIP) So one night, while listening to AM radio, this song came on. And I was totally mesmerized. It totally summed up my life at the moment. I went and bought the single and for a year I would listen to it nonstop. I cried myself to sleep. My mother had the transplant and she made it with only minor complications over the years. I love my mother. More than she'll ever know. (Oh and btw she is still here, after 17 years) But that song kept me strong. Its beautifully written and melodically entrancing. So then imagine pulling up to the beach, tears streaming down my face, and the inability to explain the real reason for the tears.. Haha. And here I am wonderfully writing it down.

No comments:

Post a Comment